WMO Liaison Office with the United Nations in New York
The liaison function includes following environmental policy-making at the United Nations level with particular focus on climate change, natural disasters and water resources and contributing, at the same time, to policy-shaping in environmental aspects of sustainable development.
The main objectives of the Office are to:
- Collect information and keep WMO abreast of developments in United Nations environmental policies and initiatives, maintaining a two-way flow of information between WMO and UN Headquarters, as well as UN funds, programmes and other relevant UN institutions located in North America;
- Maintain and activate a network of regular contacts with the UN entities and agencies and the respective national delegations and permanent missions;
- Increase WMO's visibility within the UN system and associated international institutions;
- Keep close liaison with funding institutions including the World Bank, Global Environmental Facility, private foundations and non-governmental organizations.
Mr Paul D. Egerton
WMO Representative and Coordinator to the United Nations and other International Organizations in North America.
World Meteorological Organization Liaison Office to the UN in New York
3North Lawn Building, United Nations Headquarters,
2nd floor, Suites NL-02109 & NL-02111
New York, NY 10017,
Tel.: + 1 917 367 9867
Joint WMO/EUMETNET Office in Brussels
A Joint WMO/EUMETNET (Network of European Meteorological Services) Office was set up in Brussels, Belgium, on 1 October 2006 to serve the common interests of the two Organizations. In particular, the Office takes into account policy issues that affect the National Meteorological Services (NMSs) directly or in the context of the European Centre for Medium-Range Weather Forecasts.
The Office was established with a view to facilitating and ensuring:
- The collection of critical information, delivery of analyses and recommendations to WMO and EUMETNET;
- The maintenance of close cooperation and contacts with relevant European bodies and the European Commission and facilitating formal representation of WMO and EUMETNET in relevant bodies;
- Identifiying important opportunities and issues of interest to WMO and EUMETNET and making the information available to them.
The objectives of the Office are to:
- Ensure timely availability of information and analyses on European Union initiatives, plans, programmes and decisions to WMO, EUMETNET, WMO Members and regional bodies, including the European Organisation for the Exploitation of Meteorological Satellites and ECMWF;
- Promote awareness in European Union bodies of the role and responsibilities of WMO, EUMETNET and other regional bodies, in particular those operating in Europe;
Chief Joint WMO / EUMETNET office in Brussels
Eumetrep Programme Manager
52, Avenue de Cortenbergh
Tel: +32 2 736 58 11
Fax: +32 2 743 30 71