Challenges facing the Marine Meteorology and Oceanograpgy Programme (MMOP)
The main challenges that the Marine Meteorology and Oceanography Programme (MMOP) is facing are:
- Enhancing the coordination at the national level as the “oceanographic community” is diverse and includes not only the National Meteorological and Hydrological Services, but also the national navies, oceanographic institutions and centres, operational and research centres, etc.
- Moving from the "full scale global operations" to the regional and national implementation in order to meet user needs.
- Meeting the users requirements and establishing good connections between the end product users, their producers, as well as with data providers, and observational programmes.
- Sustaining the global ocean observing system (in situ and satellite based) and achieving optimal spatial distribution.
- Organizing training workshops and on-line learning modules for Capacity Development at the different stages of the production line.