The World Meteorological Organization’s (WMO) Global Atmosphere Watch Programme (GAW) will be hosting its next symposium on 10-13 April 2017 at the WMO Office in Geneva.
GAW symposia are organized every 4-years in order to gather the GAW research and observational community and existing/potential partners to reassess the programme and discuss issues of importance for a successful future. This next symposium will take place in the context of a new GAW Implementation Plan for 2016-2023 (GAW IP), which will be published before the end of 2016 (the draft version is available on www.wmo.int/gaw).
The objectives of the 2017 GAW Symposium are to:
• Reassess programme elements in the context of the new GAW IP
• Develop clear work plans with clear outcomes and timelines for implementing activities in the new GAW IP implementation plan for the next 4 years (period between GAW symposiums, inter-commission period as well)
• Foster further foster collaborations within and external to GAW
• Enhance GAW’s capacity to increase its relevance to partners/clients and to broaden strengthen support for GAW its activities (make GAW more relevant for key-partner organisations
• Demonstration Demonstrate of success.
The symposium will commence on Monday, 10 April 2017 at 9:00 and conclude on Thursday 13 April 2017 at 12:00. The provisional program is structured into plenary discussions and smaller parallel breakout sessions . Two poster sessions are planned for the evenings of Tuesday 11 April and Wednesday 12 April in order to showcase the work of our community. During lunch time, there is a possibility to organize side event on specific scientific topic.
The Environmental Pollution and Atmospheric Sciences Scientific Steering Committee (EPAC SSC), the body that oversees GAW, and its Scientific Advisory Groups will meet on Thursday 13 April 2017 at 13:30 to review the outcome of the symposium.
Preliminary program includes:
• Introduction of the New GAW Implementation Plan for 2016-2023
• 3 Plenary Discussions: Science for Services / Integrated Observations / Data Management
• 4 Breakout Sessions: Modelling Activities in GAW / GAW Quality Assuarance
Resource Mobilization / Partnership and Outreach Strategy
* Each breakout session will be held in pairs at the same tim.
• 2 Poster Sessions
• Summary and Path Forward
• Closed Meeting of SSC and SAG Chairs
Participation in this event is via registration. To register please fill in the form by 25 December 2016.
The instructions will be distributed closer to symposium.
We look forward to welcoming you in Geneva next spring.