|World Climate Services Programme
Climate Applications and Services
Regional Climate Centres Implementation in Africa
Regional Association I (Africa), through Resolution 4 (XV-RA I) and Resolution 7 (RA I-16), decided to establish a Regional Climate Centre (RCC) in each of the Regional Economic Communities (RECs), and that the RCC implementation in Region I will comprise:
- RCC Africa hosted by the African
Centre of Meteorological Applications for Development (ACMAD),
- RCC Intergovernmental Authority
on Development (IGAD) hosted by the IGAD Climate Predication and Applications Centre (ICPAC),
- RCC Southern African Development Community (SADC) hosted by the SADC Climate
Services Centre (SADC CSC),
- RCC-Network-Northern Africa,
- RCC-Network Economic Community of
West African States (ECOWAS), and
- RCC Economic Community of the Central African States (ECCAS).
Considering the pan-African nature of ACMAD, it was also assigned a coordinating role among all RCCs in RA I as RCC-Africa.
The following are the formally designated WMO RCCs/RCC-Networks so far in RA I:
Designated in: May 2015
Location: Niamey, Niger
Domain of interest: All countries of RA I
Designated in: May 2017
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Domain of interest: IGAD Countries (Greater Horn of Africa)
RCC-Network Northern Africa
Designated in: May 2017
Nodes:(1) Casablanca Node on Long-Range Forecasting led by Direction de la Météorologie Nationale (DMN), Morocco; (2) Tunis Node on Climate Monitoring led by Institut National de la Météorologie (INM), Tunisia; (3)Algiers Node on Data Services led by National Meteorological Office (ONM), Algeria; and (4) Cairo and Tripoli Node on Training led jointly by Egyptian Meteorological Authority (EMA), Egypt and National Meteorological Centre (NMC), Libya
Overall coordination: DMN, Morocco
Domain of interest: Morocco, Algeria, Libya, Tunisia, Egypt
Consultations are underway between AGRHYMET and ACMAD to implement RCC-Network ECOWAS covering Western Africa. For Southern Africa efforts are underway to extend the mandate and product suite of SADC-CSC to implement the RCC-SADC. A roadmap towards a RCC-ECCAS for Central Africa has been outlined and is under consideration.
Regional Climate Outlook Forums in RA I
There is a well-established structure of Region Climate Outlook Forums (RCOFs) in RA I.
The ACMAD (RCC-Africa) supports five RCOFs:
- Prévisions Climatiques Saisonnières en Afrique Centrale (PRESAC)
- Prévisions Climatiques Saisonnières pour les pays du Golfe de Guinée (PRESAGG)
- Prévisions Climatiques Saisonnières en Afrique du Nord (PRESANORD)
- Prévisions Climatiques Saisonnières en Afrique Soudano-Sahélienne (PRESASS), previously called Prévisions Climatiques Saisonnières en Afrique de l'Ouest (PRESAO), comprises the same countries as PRESAO except Liberia and Sierra Leone which have no Sahelian climate
- South West Indian Ocean Climate Outlook Forum (SWIOCOF)
The Mediterranean Climate Outlook Forum (MedCOF), coordinated by the State Meteorological Agency of Spain (AEMET), with the contribution from the RCC-Network-NA and ACMAD, encompasses the PRESANORD and the South-East European Climate Outlook Forum (SEECOF).
The ICPAC (RCC-IGAD) has spearheaded the Greater Horn of Africa Climate Outlook Forum (GHACOF) since 1998.
The SADC-CSC coordinates Southern African Climate Outlook Forum (SARCOF).