|World Climate Services Programme
Climate Applications and Services
Regional Climate Centres Implementation in Asia
The Regional Association II (Asia) is served by a collection of Regional Climate Centers (RCCs) having pan-Asian as well as sub-regional interests, which have established a joint portal that provides links to the various RCC products and services in RA II. The portal also includes a link to the
Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation
(APEC) Climate Center (APCC), another key institution providing regional climate monitoring and prediction products.
The Beijing Climate Center (BCC) of the China Meteorological Administration (CMA) and the Tokyo Climate Center (TCC) of the Japan Meteorological Agency (JMA) were formally designated as WMO RCCs in 2009. In June 2013, the North EurAsia Climate Center (NEACC) joined the designated WMO RCCs of the RA II.
RCC Beijing: BCC
Location: Beijing, China
Domains of interest: East Asian Monsoon and all Asia for monitoring extremes
RCC Tokyo: TCC
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Domain of interest: All Asia and Western Pacific (40°N-20°S, 30°E-180°E)
RCC Moscow: NEACC
Location: Moscow, Russian Federation
Domain of interest:
Commonwealth Independent States
(CIS) countries including the Russian Federation, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, and Uzbekistan
The India Meteorological Department (IMD), in Pune, began the demonstration phase as a WMO RCC, in May 2013.
Three more countries in RA II, namely Iran, Saudi Arabia and Kazakhstan have also expressed their interest in establishing RCCs, and are making efforts to initiate the pilot phase of operations.
Regional Climate Outlook Forums in RA II
- The East Asia winter Climate Outlook Forum (EASCOF) is the successor to the Joint Meeting for Seasonal Prediction of the East Asian Winter Monsoon
- The Forum on Regional Climate Monitoring, Assessment and Prediction for Regional Association II (FOCRAII)
- The North Eurasian Climate Outlook Forum (NEACOF) overlaps RA II and RA VI
- The South Asian Climate Outlook Forum (SASCOF)
- The Association of Southeast Asian Nations Climate Outlook Forum (ASEANCOF) includes some RA V Members.