|ESCAP WMO Typhoon Committee
ESCAP/WMO Typhoon Committee
Presentation for TLFDP Workshop in Shanghai, June 2012
(Established in 1968)
Members and year of Membership
Democratic People's Republic of Korea, 1992
Hong Kong,China, 1968 - Member Territory
Japan, 1968 - (RSMC Tokyo Typhoon Center)
Lao People's Democratic Republic, 1968
Macao,China, 1992 - Member Territory
Republic of Korea, 1968
USA, 1998 - (RSMC Honolulu - Hurricane Center)
Viet Nam, Socialist Republic of, 1968
Secretariat and Contacts
Typhoon Committee Secretariat
Avenida de 5 de Outubro,
Coloane, Macao, China
Tel. (+853) 8801 0531
Fax (+853) 8801 0530
Web site: <http://www.typhooncommittee.org/>
|Secretary of TC:
||Mr Olavo Rasquinho
||Mr. Derek Leong
||Mr. Jinping Liu
|Mr Chi-Ming SHUN
Upcoming and Recent Activities
- The 41st session of the Typhoon Committee will be held in Chiang Mai, Thailand from 12 to 17 November 2008.
- The Integrated Workshop on "Coping with Climate Change in the Typhoon Committee Area" will be held in Beijing, China from 22 to 26 September 2008.
- The Japan Meteorological Agency (JMA) organized the an "Attachment Training" at the RSMC Tokyo-Typhoon Center from 23 July to 1 August 2008 which was attended by two female forecasters from Republic of Korea and Thailand.
- A DPP Expert Mission from 12 to 19 May 2008 related to the TCDIS project visited Lao Democratic People's Republic, Viet Nam, Thailand and the Philippines.
- The 3rd Typhoon Committee Working Group Meeting for Disaster Prevention and Preparedness on Typhoon Committee Disaster Information System (TCDIS) and Future Activities was held in Seoul, Republic of Korea from 10 to 11 April, 2008.
- The 40th session of the Typhoon Committee was held in Macao, China from 21 to 26 November 2007.
- The TC, with the support of the Macao meteorological and Geophysical Bureau (SMG) and Hong Kong Observatory promoted a design contest for creating an emblem/symbol for Typhoon Committee.
- The TC promoted a song contest for selecting a song for the commemoration of the 40th anniversary of TC.
- The Third Integrated Workshop of the ESCAP/WMO Typhoon Committee "Integrated Workshop on Social-economic Impacts of Extreme Typhoon-related Events", was held in Bangkok, Thailand, from 10 to 14 September 2007.
- The Typhoon Committee Annual Review for the year 2006 was published in electronic (CD-ROM) format in November, 2007.
- The TC Newsletter No. 19, prepared by TCS, was issued in November 2007.
- The 39th session of the Typhoon Committee was held in Manila, Philippines from 4 to 9 December 2006.
- The 38th session of the Typhoon Committee was held in Hanoi, Viet Nam from 14 to 19 November 2005.
- The TRCG conducted two roving seminars in 2004, one in Beijing from 20 to 24 November and the other one in Kuala Lumpur from 25 to 27 November.
- The 37th session of the Typhoon Committee was held in Shanghai, China from 16 to 20 November 2004.
- The Typhoon Committee Annual Review for the year 2003 was published in electronic (CD-ROM) format in October 2004.
- The Workshop on Living with Risk: Dealing with Typhoon-related Disasters as part of Integrated Water Resources Management was held in Seoul, Republic of Korea from 20 to 24 September 2004.
- The Japan Meteorological Agency (JMA) organized the Typhoon Operational Forecasting Training at the RSMC Tokyo-Typhoon Center from 28 July to 6 August 2004 and was attended by two female forecasters from Hong Kong, China and Malaysia.
- The TC Newsletter No. 16 prepared by TCS was issued in July 2004.
- The Meeting of the Working Group on the Review of the Operations and Structure of the Typhoon Committee was held in Bangkok, Thailand from 20 to 22 April 2004.
- The 2004 edition of the Typhoon Committee Operational Manual was published by WMO in February 2004.
- Conducted 2 notable field experiments: TOPEX and SPECTRUM
- Established the Typhoon Committe Trust Fund in 1987 to which the Members have been making voluntary cash contributions
- Organized 4 Technical Conferences on SPECTRUM
- Organized training events, seminars, workshops under its three main components
(Invitation for contribution) (Author's Guides)
REGIONAL OFFICE for Asia and the South-West Pacific (Geneva, Switzerland)
Dr Tokiyoshi TOYA (Director, DRA/RAP)