UNITAR and the GFCS Office have released an on-line free-of-charge tutorial designed for national experts and open to practitioners and the general public, with the aim of promoting GFCS, raising awareness of its objectives and of the benefits of climate services. The tutorial will be available online at this page for an initial period of 6 months. All modules will be available for the entire duration of the course and may be accessed in any preferred order. Short self-assessment exercises are included in the modules.
By the end of this tutorial, participants should be able to:
1. Illustrate the key concepts of climate information and climate services;
2. Describe the role of the Global Framework for Climate Services;
3. Recognize the contribution of climate services to major post-2015 international agreements;
4. Discuss the value of climate-informed decision-making.
- Overview of key terms and concepts related to climate services
- The importance of climate-informed decision-making
- The Global Framework for Climate Services
- Climate services’ support to major Post-2015 international agreements
- Selected advanced topics and upcoming activities
UNITAR recommends the following as a minimum in hardware and software to take our e-Learning courses. Please consult your Network Administrator or Systems person to ensure that you have the following:
- Platform: Windows 2000, NT, ME, XP or superior; MacOS 9 or MacOS X; Linux
- Hardware: 64 MB of RAM, 1 GB of free disk space
- Software: Adobe Flash Player
- Browser: Internet Explorer 9 or higher; Firefox 3.6 or higher