Programmes > World Climate Programme > WCDMP > CDMS > Open CDMS Strategy
|World Climate Programme
World Climate Data and Monitoring Programme
Open CDMS Strategy
ET-CDMS in 2015 noted that:
- Currently, significant investment is needed to maintain a multitude of CDMS worldwide to generate data for regional and global analyses.
- These CDMS are not compliant with the new WMO #1131, Climate Data Management Systems Specifications.
- Significant investment will be required to conform to the requirements of WMO 1131.
- It will be very expensive and wasteful of resources to develop the same functionality in many CDMS.
- There are several open source CDMS used by WMO members.
- There is considerable potential to address this situation by rationalising these open source CDMS.
Therefore ET-CDMS propose that:
- Open source CDMS should converge on one Reference Open Source CDMS, namely Open-CDMS.
- Investment is required to make this happen.
CDMS strategy documents